Create a 1 minute experience of color by manipulating image or video at the pixel level.
My partner Cy and I weren’t totally sure at first what to do, so I proposed playing around with a famous video game scene that I really like, The Definition of Insanity from Far Cry 3. It’s this villain Vaas, played by Michael Mando, delivering a monologue on the definition of insanity. The scene involves you, the protagonist, getting captured by Vaas who believed that he already killed you, but turns out you are one slippery fish. So he gets totally manic about it and delivers one of the best monologues in video game history of the past decade.
The Insanity Monologue
“Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact… same fucking thing… over and over again, expecting… shit to change. That… is crazy; but the first time somebody told me that… I dunno, I thought they were bullshitting me, so boom — I shot him. The thing is, okay… he was right. And then I started seeing: everywhere I looked, everywhere I looked, all these fucking pricks, everywhere I looked, doing the exact same fucking thing… over and over and over and over again thinking: “This time, it’s gonna be different; no, no, no, no, no, please… this time it’s gonna be different.” I am sorry, I don’t like the way you are looking at me… okay, do you have a fucking problem in your head? Do you think I am bullshitting you? Do you think I am lying? Fuck you! Okay? FUCK YOU! It’s okay, man. I’m gonna chill, hermano. I’m gonna chill… the thing is… alright, the thing is: I killed you once already… and it’s not like I am fucking crazy. It’s okay… it’s like water under the bridge.Vaas
Did I ever tell you the definition… of insanity?”
- We made the video really small, compressed down to 3.5 mb
- Instead of pixelating with rect, did it with circles
- I wanted for it to look like there are black bars, I believe that when we try to fill up the empty space, it creates great discomfort on the eyes
- Added a scary sound effect, to add an atmospheric creepiness. We lowered the volume to about a half, so that we don’t overwhelm the monologue.
- After adding a bunch of different glitch like effects, added text
- The text is supposed to be this separate, story-like experience
- Used phases to make the experience progress further
- Then made it loop, because the definition of insanity involves doing a thing OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER AGAIN.
By the way…
Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? Insanity is doing the exact… same fucking thing… over and over again, expecting… shit to change…